This week I decided to interview my neighbor Travis. I wanted to interview him because he is always such a happy and positive person. Him and his family have lived across the street from me for 10 years. Travis and his wife Tara have three kids Emma, who is my age, Jack who is 15 and Kate who is 13. They can always make me laugh and always make my day a little brighter. I hope you enjoy!
You got me thinking and this is tougher than I thought. I am going to make several assumptions which are pretty basic like I am healthy, active and pretty much feel the same as I do today and for the most part knew ahead of time that this was my last day. With that I know I would not want to be traveling, in traffic or some other place. All of the other things I wanted to get done before my last day I would have done so, like taking Emma skydiving and some travel as a family.For my last day:
- I am sure I would wake up early as always and start the day with my normal routine of feeding dogs, coffee and then start thinking how I could cheat death and not die in 24. That would be my first thing I would do, probably Google it and such but lets assume it is what it is and I have accepted the fact that I have 24 hours and can’t change that.
- With that my day would be doing what I love to do with those I love, so my family and friends. Specifically my friends that will support my family once I am gone and provide the friendship, love and support that we need in life. So I am sure I would start thinking over coffee to make sure the day is planned, everyone I want invited and probably do a mental check of making sure everything is in order for my family the next day regarding my will, finances, etc.. so they are taken care of (a little bit late but I am sure I will have those thoughts on my last day even though). Probably do some stupid stuff like make sure my subscriptions cancel or whatever, try not trip over the petty stuff is what I am really thinking and get on with enjoying the time I have left.
- Next I would make a big breakfast for everyone as I really enjoy cooking breakfast and make them all the things they love and not worry one bit about how many strips of bacon I had and probably not worry about doing the dishes so much as let’s be serious that is never the fun part of cooking. I am sure Tara, Emma, Jack and Kate would help out and that is fun part of eating at home and being in our own place.
- I would want to spend the first part of the day with just my family so ease into it with them, focus on the quality time and conversations of what next but at the same point do all of things we normally do at home like volleyball in the back yard, basketball on the court and just being together. One on one time with everyone would be very important to explain that the future is going to change but still be bright. I am assuming they know that I have one day and it is no secret.
- Next I would have my family start to join us so we can all hang out and from there the rest of the family which includes nieces, nephews, in-laws and everyone. More or less a family reunion and party but focus on the positive and not the negative, it should be fun time not a sad time. The next part of the day I would want to basically turn it into a private beach party. Select and important friends who I consider life long friends that will still be in the picture to support my family after I am gone. Ideally it would be a warm day with some waves, volleyball, surfing and a lot of quality active beach time. Strangely I would still wear sunscreen and probably re-apply a bunch like I do out of habit. My goal for this part of the day would be have great beach day with all of these people that are really important to my life today and the day after I am gone and would want to do all of things we enjoy together. Not a sit around and get tan beach day but the kind I enjoy being active playing volleyball, surfing and some very special beach walks with my family and one on one’s. Throw some good beach toys in there as well so everyone is having fun, that could include all kinds of cool toys that we can think of. It’s my last day so I would want it to be fun, happy, active day. We would have plenty of food and drink and probably throw it as a Luau but the more I think about it I am not really interested in Hulu Shrimp on my last day so it would have to be more of a Mexican theme with some serious tacos, chips, guacamole and the rest that comes with it. I would really want to make sure I got one really good wave and I got the feeling Jack would be extra nice and let me have it.
- This would take us through sunset which would really important and fun to watch together as group. From that it would be goodbyes to all but my immediate family and I would want to go home and hangout. Cards, chill time, lots of good conversations and hanging with the people I love the most. Nothing really exciting and it may even sound boring but to me being home with family is how I would want to spend my last evening. Sure there would be great food and we wouldn’t have to cook and clean but it really is the environment I would want to be in and around. To me it’s more important who I am with than where I am. For that reason home with the people I care about the most is how I would spend my last evening after a really great day. I would definitely not sleep as I would want to make the most out of the 24 hours awake…”